PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2015, 18:01
MSOCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO,

In turn:

That's a fascinating statement, particularly the final two words. However, are we assuming that there is another air force somewhere helping out? Because if not, how do you propose to stop the enemy's land and sea forces with 2x JDAM or a few SDBs per cab?
How many cabs are you talking about? Define the enemy's land and sea forces in size, capability and dispersion. Define the battlespace and the synergy of all air, sea and land power combined in the face of the enemy. I'm sorry but there are too many variables within that statement as it's a totally subjective argument to point at the limited internal carriage capability of F-35 (which I think you're trying to do here).

but the other reason that things like HDTV and Rover aren't there yet is that the program is still not delivering what should have arrived years ago.
A technophile argument from my perspective - technology often moves on much faster than an acquisition program does, because being better than the other company is key, along with profitability. The consumer market demands more of their Go Pros and home movie experience. Militarily, by far the biggest advance and edge to a fast jet was the jump from older pods such as TIALD to Sniper or Litening III. A jump to 4K is nowhere near as great unless the General is demanding that you ID individual hair widths on an enemy combatant to satisfy ROE (hint: he isn't!) Where is the 4K sensor on Raptor, Typhoon, Tornado; none of which are in concurrent development? If technology insertion was rapid on a concurrent Program like JSF all the latest gadgets would be delivered at Block 3F, trust me - hell by 2017 there could be a 8K Carl Zeiss™ sensor for all I care and if it wasn't immediately on the F-35 would you start crying "shame on you again F-53 Program!" I can't answer that....but please, let's get a grip of such paper thin arguments and nit-picking.

Me, I am heavily biased in favor of programs that come in on time and schedule and deliver what it says on the tin. Because when they don't, budgets being limited by definition, they suck the life out of other capabilities.
I am heavily biased in favour of Unicorns. Both statements are imaginary i'm afraid LO and don't reflect the real world however I've never seen the fauna around Oakdale, MN, so they may actually exist!

5th Gen isn't an advertising slogan - it's a concept. Being literally unable to get one's head around that, and truly understand what it is and how it changes and challenges one's prejudices and preconceptions, is analogous to the struggle of trying to explain to a religious zealot why gay marriage is 'ok'. If you don't like 5th Gen as a term, use another which you're happier and less cynical about - it doesn't change what it means.

Last edited by MSOCS; 7th Jul 2015 at 18:20. Reason: Sp