PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odd? landing technique (PA28) wanted by school
Old 7th Jul 2015, 14:10
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every landing I do in every type I fly will be a full flaps landing. If the crosswind is such that I cannot safely fly the approach and landing, I will not land on that runway then. Every landing I do will be flown with the intent that the mainwheels touch gently first, and then the nose or tailwheel later in the rollout, unless there is a specific reason for a different technique. That is my personal preference, and in 40 years of flying, I have never been unhappy with it, and never damaged landing gear (or a plane, for that matter). I have only flown partial flap landings under instruction from much more competent pilots on type (Beaver and Twin Otter), or in the case of mechanical failure.

If you have a landing technique which works for you, and results in a controlled, stable, gentle landing, then do that. If a check pilot does not like it, ask to be referred to an authoritative document which says it should not be done that way. On the ever so slight chance there actually is a reference to not doing it that way, consider it! Otherwise, flyi the plane as though you own it, and would have to pay for wear&tear, and damage!

I once had to be checked out in a DA-42 for some flying I had to do. The check "Instructor" resisted my flaring for landings, rather wanting a three point landing. I don't like three pointing nosewheel planes for wheelbarrow risk, and damage to the nose strut. But, I did not have time to argue with him. so, I did a couple of nice three point landings, just touched the nosewheel, then held it light. Once he left, I flew it the right way, and held the nosewheel off 'till much later in the rollout.