PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 7th Jul 2015, 13:19
AQAfive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My fear is that the only people to be hosted will be the twin wing master race, as that's the only trade recognised by management, all the others having been made redundant. They will then be swayed by flashy flight deck displays and video, with the performance of the sensors left to chance.

In addition, those that make the decision, i.e. grey suits near Bristol, will not know how to buy from Japan, the US yes, there will be a process for that, but not from the East. And Mr Boeing will be most persuasive.

So whilst something is better than nothing, I fear that the easiest buy will end up at Waddington, if indeed we go that far.

But, it's a few years since I was in the know, and, after all, I predicted the then Labour government would choose the Nimrod AEW3 if only to protect British jobs. And I did eat my words, (after I put them down on paper).

I am much older and wiser now, but I still get surprised.

Incidentally, I was on a crew that gave a ground demonstrated the MR2 to the Japanese Navy at Atsugi several years ago. Despite the language barrier, they were very keen. It was a Saturday and all the Sqn personnel seemed to be there. The culture was different as well, despite blistering heat, the Admiral (Base Commander I think) queued with the rest of his men.

Other tales to tell, another time.

Last edited by AQAfive; 7th Jul 2015 at 13:22. Reason: Cannot speeel