PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 88mm Flak Gun and Panther Tank found in villa.
Old 7th Jul 2015, 12:13
Mr Mac

Received 169 Likes on 104 Posts
On the discussions on Panther,s and Tigers I re call seeing some documentation which was done pre Normandy when the British Army was looking at the statistics of how many Sherman,s it took to kill 1nr Tiger and they were working on a 23 to 1 ratio. The big concern was the moral of the crews in the 24th Sherman onwards who would have to go hunt the next Tiger ! As it was I do not think the ratio did get quite that bad apart from some memorable actions already alluded to. As far as German crew morale in Tigers and Panthers was concerned they appear to have kept it together until the bitter end, though all the documentation I have read does emphasise there fear of "Jabo" (ground attack A/C ) which accounted for many tanks and crews in the field and transit.

With regards Warsaw Pact when I was bouncing round West Germany in that model of UK engineering a Chieftain in late 1970,s we were told the WP could put a tank every 3m facing West from the Artic circle to the Black Sea. Admittedly they would not all be 1970,s vintage but it still seemed a very large number to have to fight and knock out to this lowly 2nd Lt !

Regards
Mr Mac