PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet DEP recruitment
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2015, 11:54
Count of Monte Bisto

Received 305 Likes on 101 Posts
737 Jockey - the reason easyJet makes massive profits is that they fight absolutely everyone for every penny, and that includes getting pilots to pay for type ratings. Alycidon refers to the issue of the CEO remuneration package - she is indeed extremely well paid, but she is also a massive asset to the Company that both shareholders (other than Stelios) and most employees have no desire to lose. It should also be stated that the vast majority of easyJet employees over the last few years have made very substantial sums of money over and beyond their salaries through company-provided share schemes.

The problem easyJet faces is the voracious competition from other low cost airlines - notably Ryanair, Vueling and Norwegian, not to mention the low cost arms of Lufthansa and Air France plus the 'others' like WizzAir. These competitors are paying rock bottom salaries and offering terrible terms and conditions to their pilots. It is inevitable that easyJet has to make some sort of move to keep their cost advantage. Among all those companies mentioned, easyJet is the best employer which is why people are queuing up to join. Like every airline in the world, there is tremendous downward pressure on terms and conditions and I do not see that changing in my professional lifetime. What I would say to anyone thinking of joining is to join with your eyes open. The terms and conditions are very clearly laid down, including liabilities for type ratings etc. If you do not like those terms, and I fully understand that you may not, then do not apply. This is not for everyone but among low cost carriers, with all their undoubted limitations, easyJet is, in my view, the best of the bunch. It is up to you if bright orange is what floats your boat - if it is not what you like, then you can rest assured there is a vast sea of very capable pilots out there who will gladly go there in your place.