PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADHD, medication and class 1 medical
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2015, 09:55
Gemeen_Aapje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to the OP for starting this topic and listing a lot of my thoughts already. I have a very similar situation and I don't know where to go from here.

-I have a PPL for 4 years and fly on a casual basis (spent 2-3 years getting my license, just doing 1 lesson per month for fun).
-I have no intention to do any commercial flying.
-I have a Class 2 medical and PPL license (SEP).
-Also have an excellent career, I'm a businessman with multiple businesses and a high education level.
-As a child I was diagnosed as being "hyperactive" by a doctor (back in the 80's when ADHD was not really well known).

I've had over the past few years some trouble with my back. A company doctor said to me after a few visits "I think you might have some kind of hyperactivity/ADHD... go see another doctor".
So, I did. I was diagnosed then with ADHD. Relatively very mild - I'm 30 now and have coped well and made a successful life for myself. Yes I'm very "busy", have many many hobbies, love to challenge myself... but can often be easily frustrated, find it difficult to let things go that bother me, often day-dreaming and also can hyper-focus on something which challenges me. Being mentally very active also makes it often difficult for me to fall asleep. For most of my symptoms I have throughout my life simply formed coping techniques without knowing it.

I think I agree with the diagnosis of ADHD and they've now started giving me some coaching to deal with it. Many of my "symptoms" I would not say have much of a negative effect on my life. Some even enhance my life and help to make me who I am.

For this reason I have asked for no medicine, but just advice and coaching about how to deal with the effects which are negative (sleep trouble, frustration and sometimes anger, time management and planning, etc).

I have also instructed the psychologist not to inform my GP or company doctor of any results.

At the moment I'm officially diagnosed, and as far as I know I'm required to inform the necessary authorities.

But I don't want the ADHD stamp on my head. I know for sure it has no effect on my flying ability (I've even had much praise from instructors and examiners for my flying aptitude). I know the authorities would just take away my license and I don't think it's fair.

So... what do I do? Tell the authorities and hope they don't throw away my license after all the training, money and energy I put into getting it?
Or just stop all treatment and pretend I was never diagnosed? Tell them to throw away all records of my diagnosis.

I'm quite worried to be honest. I've had one coaching session and now have 2 weeks to decide if I want to continue.

It's really a shame they don't recognise the scale and variability of the condition.

To the OP - did you ever get a decision from the CAA? Do you know if there's a difference between Class 1 vs 2?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

Cheers
Matt