PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2015, 18:24
Lonewolf_50

Received 416 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by typerated
I am interested in your comments on the Zero.I feel you just have focussed on turn rate exclusively.
I suspect if you look at the energy manoverability spectrum a P-40 would have places where it can dictate the fight - probably by staying fast.
FWIW: The Wildcat "Thatch Weave" approach was another way to deal with the Zero's turning superiority in an actual fight.

About speed: a couple of decades later, Phantom pilots versus Migs tended to abide by the "speed is life" motto ...

I think the F-35 can be more compared to the F-105 or the 104 in European duty than the A-7. I wonder if the 104 was also touted as an Air-Air machine when Lockheed and the US govt decided they were just what Europe needed
Wasn't the F-104 designed as an interceptor? (GCI, run and shoot, run home?) If not then my memory is foggy again .. (EDIT: just noticed that Ken covered this as well).

Of more relevance I'm interested how you think the F-35 stacks up? Draggy, low power to weight and high wing loading.
This doubtless has the fighter community over here concerned as well. On thing about that ability to turn and burn is DACM versus missiles shot at you. This will happen, be ye stealthy or no, as our friends in F-117 land discovered.