PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian - Last 36 pilots not needed during the winter.
Old 6th Jul 2015, 17:16
LoCo Commotion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Widebdy. I don't agree with a number of your comments. You say you have no pity for this individual? Most people reading this would expect an employer to honour the terms of a signed contract. By signing a contract, both employee and employer agree to certain terms and conditions. It is a legally binding document that defines the parameters of the working relationship. The minute it becomes acceptable to terminate a contract because those terms become a little inconvenient then we are all doomed.

An employer breaking a promise is one thing, but breaching a contract in this way is unacceptable. Would you expect pity if your contract was torn up and you were told you would be terminated if you failed to agree to their new terms? I don't suppose you'd be that amused either. From what I recall this is no different to how Norwegian tried to treat the Scandi pilots over their contracts.

I agree that transparent systems are vital and seniority is all important for base allocation. But what control would this pilot have had over these systems? He received an acceptable contract and signed it. Who would honestly do any different? You say that the seniority system is there for everyone's long term benefit - I agree. However I would add that the legal system of the state takes precedent and is there for all our protection from the unscrupulous actions of immoral employers.

If this event is true, then I do have pity for the pilot concerned - this could happen again to any pilot currently engaged by Norwegian. The actions of the company go to prove that it's moral values are clearly in the gutter.

Last edited by LoCo Commotion; 6th Jul 2015 at 20:37.