PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 6th Jul 2015, 15:10
Nugget90

Received 37 Likes on 5 Posts
Anguilla

Mention of Anguilla brings back memories of landing there on 30 March 1969: one thousand feet of concrete and a muddy overrun with a palm tree as an obstacle on approach.

I have in my study one of the insurgents' flags: blue lower half and white above with three orange dolphins chasing in a circle. The joke was that the troops on the ground bought up all the 'rebel' flags and flew them from whatever: Land Rovers, control tower, etc. The Bobbies had nowhere to spend their allowances so put their money into the POSB: Post Office Saving Bank.

When we flew out we had on board a 'liberated' iron cannon. I had no idea of its weight so we secured it as near as possible over the C of G and lashed it down securely.

At the local 'Base Station' of Antigua I recall the fuel hose coming loose and AVTUR spreading out all over the tarmac. We towed the Herc away but the fuel completely ruined my shoes. The flight home to Fairford went via Bermuda where we spent two most enjoyable nights.