PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odd? landing technique (PA28) wanted by school
Old 6th Jul 2015, 11:17
gfunc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd? landing technique (PA28) wanted by school

Hello folks,

I am revalidating my PPL after being overseas (and flying privately) for many years. I've found a school and an instructor who seem great, the only strange thing is the touchdown technique they are telling me is their accepted technique in a PA28 Warrior - I wanted to ask if this is a countrywide phenomena or just particular to this school?

So, my tried and tested (overseas) way of landing a Warrior: Approach 65kts with full flap, roundout and power to idle (apply crosswind correction as desired), flare....keep the aeroplane flying 6 inches off the ground for as long as possible..touchdown at minimum flying speed on the mains with a squeak from the stall warner and warm applause from the passengers. This seems in line with the POH.

The technique I've been told to use is: Approach 70kts with full flap, roundout and power to idle then let it pretty much settle (or plonk) onto the deck.

This second technique seems like that used for something much bigger and faster (or for a Warrior in very exception conditions e.g. strong x-wind with turbulence). To me this is asking for trouble - 7kts over the POH speed you'll eat up kilometres of runway, risk huge bounces if the touchdown is slightly on the heavy side and puts the nosewheel at risk of becoming retractable.

I've got a remedial session of circuits because of "my" landing techinique - I'm not sure whether to be belligerent and continue land the way I normally do or not!