PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172N checklist
Thread: C172N checklist
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2015, 11:14
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I have done extensive type training on amphibian aircraft, in particular recently, a Garmin glass cockpit 182 amphib, with just about every piece of avionics it can hold, including auto pilot. As a part of my training, I instructed my charge that he was to consider EVERY control and indicator, and what it does, and what he would do with it when. If he did not know, he was to ask me. This process occurred over several hours of actual cross country (less intense flying). I found this to be effective in leaving "no stone unturned", and reminding me of some things I need to sharpen up on - a few layers of menu pages into the GTN750 and G600...

Though thread drift, I was a participant 35 years ago, in an effort to assist a lost pilot in a 172 (on a perfectly clear winter day). I was one of several people during that event who completely failed to inquire if the plane was equipped with a transponder. It was, and had the pilot known what it was, and to turn it on, we would have saved an hour, and a lot of risky frustration.

It is a part of the student/candidate/new pilot's duty to themselves, to ask "what does this do?" during training and familiarization. They are paying to receive instruction while flying, get what you're paying for! If the instructor/mentor does not know, they better find out themselves!