PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ announcement
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2015, 07:58
Lepper Messiah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually we are talking B-cat/IFR/Multi instructor. Apart from the few G.A Gigs in New Zealand, most of the Air NZ recruitment comes from ex multi instructors and perhaps RNZAF
Really ????? I know there are plenty of young GA instructors who think they are part of the only GA around these parts, but maybe haven't ventured too far outside the Ardmore training areas....

So it's not as simple as employing 200hr Pilots, it is more about finding pilots willing to Pay To Fly to the tune of $75,000 ish.
As sad as pay to fly is, it's the way of the day unfortunately. And to be fair, if I had my time again and I had the opportunity, I would do it.
So sue me.

If we compare two 200 hr 19 year olds, one going through NZ GA and another in paying through say Ryanair. Where will they be in 5 years ?

PTF,- probably in the sandpit in the right seat of a widebody jet, or staring down the barrel of a command on a narrow body jet.

NZ GA ? Hopefully getting round in some banged up chieftain held together with hundred mile an hour tape amongst the ****e maybe earning 30 grand if they're lucky. The RHS of the 737 or A320 where PTF was 5 years ago is still a loooong way away.

I see the merit in both I guess...

What do we think the employment market will be like with Jetstar entering the props ? I understand Air NZ will be wanting to hire a fair few from later this year, about the time of the jetstar entry. Could get interesting...