PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Soviet Ekranoplan 'Lun'
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2015, 10:08
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Range of a Maverick against the range of a P-270? SS-N-22 launched from 120km, flies at 20 metres and Mach 3. And that was the Lun, what, nearly 40 years ago?
Don't cherry pick the equation. That bad boy (or any long range SSM) has to be third party targetted, as the WIGE vehicle is unable to target the square root of FA by itself (as I posted earlier). That means a targetting platform + comms). All do-able for sure, but I reckon there will be few interesting challenges in the technology - one things for sure, I'd love to see what happens to the airflow when you stick a sodding great satty receive aerial in the airflow at that speed!

Also the range of the Maverick is irrelevant, it is the range of the maverick (or similar) plus the range of the launch platform that matters...and that is well in favour of the defending unit especially as it can do it's own targetting as well as use third party.

Long story short...sending these up against a modern battlegroup would require the services of an old Japanese Divine Wind instructor.