PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foot Launched Powered Aircraft (FLPAs) for the disabled?
Old 5th Jul 2015, 09:05
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is another angle to this which may not be apparent.

Firstly I fully support any pilot disabled or disabled by illness being able to fly where they are considered to be safe to themselves and others on the ground.

We all can become ill or disabled if we are unlucky. It is the political will to accept disabled people in society which is the driving force! you only have to look at the success of the paralympics to see that.

But do certain disabilities mean that the pilot in a wind shear situation or takeoff situation has as much instant controllability as an able bodied person? If not should you accept that or look for another way ?

But here comes the crunch!! Other medical disabilities are not allowed! We only have to see the battles over stupid things like colour blindness and the lack of acceptance of various medical conditions and medications to see that allowing disabled people to fly when they can be seen not to properly control that aircraft could set a precedence with pilots banned from flying with illness disabilities

what is good for the goose is good for the gander principal

I support all pilots being able to fly whether disabled by accident or by illness where they are deemed safe to themselves and those on the ground. Where blind eyes are turned towards one group because it appears politically correct to do so is another matter

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 5th Jul 2015 at 09:26.