PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another runway at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2015, 19:39
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting that Peter Hendy puts the LHR surface access bill at £10bn and LGW at £6bn in today's Guardian.
"His Master’s Voice": he's just towing the mayoral line.

TFL is trotting out rubbish about a subject that is of no concern to it: diverting/tunnelling trunk roads and motorways is a Highways Agency matter, new railways is the business of Network Rail.

National, not local.

Before I retired as a 747 Capt at LHR I noted how much holding I did before landing over a year. It came to just over 10 hours - 10 to 15mins on average 5 times a month for 10 and half months.

That's the best part of 120,000 litres of Jet A and Jet A1 burnt by this one Pilot in a year - that's out of 21 years at LHR. Take a look at FR24 some mornings and have a guess how much fuel is being wasted at the holding stacks......

And another thing..........

Failure to meet pollution targets at ground level is predicted on surface traffic usage - cars, buses and trucks. By the time this development is up and running the shift to electric, hybrid and hydrogen will render those forecasts meaningless.
Excellent points, ETOPS!

One of the reasons they swallowed them up was to get the slots at EGLL, they then booted the routes out to EGKK, where they withered.
Not sure how that works in the case of BUA/BCAL and Danair! How would buying these three LGW-based carriers provide slots at LHR?

There were plenty of LGW slots available for BA had it wanted them at that time. So, no need to buy those carriers for the LGW slots.

More a case of reducing competition perhaps, or retieving the routes that BOAC had been forced to give up to those carriers (South America, West Africa, etc.) during the time of the "second force" policy.

ETOPS

Quote:
That's the best part of 120,000 litres of Jet A and Jet A1 burnt by this one Pilot in a year
EXACTLY!!! I've been saying that for years and I could not see the Davies people, or the protesters EVER point this out! The time wasted and the fuel wasted is ignored AND those that protest about too many a/c over London forget that the holds are still over someone's house!! Those people will have reduced pollution and risk.
It's mentioned in at least one submission to the Airports Commission!

Can't expect the protesters to point it out, it would completely undermine their already shaky case.