PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS - The Decline
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2015, 14:52
Nail The Dream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's gone VERY quite in here - perhaps no-one cares about the ever deteriorating state of UK Police Air Support any more ?

I wonder what the various Chief Constables and Police Authority members think now, after they were either Press-Ganged into signing up for NPAS, or tempted to do so by promises of a more efficient service at a reduced cost, and 24 hours a day cover, when they hear stories of :

A cash strapped NPAS allowing aircraft to be used for non life threatening Patient Transfers, paid for out of the NPAS budget, leaving little or no cover for "Police" work in huge areas,

Greater cuts in the helicopter fleet than originally intended with re-assurances that the loss of Rotary cover would be made up by the introduction of a Fixed Wing fleet, mand those plans now looking more likely than ever that they won't materialise at all,

Pilots considering taking NPAS to Court for unfair dismissal - after the ludicrous way staff had to bid for jobs when certain Base closures were announced, and those voting to work from a particular new base that had been announced, found out the very next day after nominations closed, that this new Base was not happening after all,and it was now too late for them to nominate another Base in their Region as the staff in Post there had been confirmed in position, because their had been no other nominations at the closing date!

An aircraft normally providing Night shift cover for Birmingham (the 2nd City!) was re-deployed to operate from Filton and provide cover for the South West AND Midlands Regions,

There might be times when there are only 5 helicopters available to cover the whole of Engand & Wales,

Despite all the cutbacks, staffing issues, and lack of aircraft available on-line, justification can still be made to attend "Important events" such as the "Armed Forces" Day ( An event I wholeheartedly support - but is there a NEED for a POLICE helicopter to be there? I didn't realise the police were categorised as an "Armed Force" as only a few of them are armed - though AFAIK, none of the aircrew are routinely armed ),

In an attempt to show how good things are in NPAS land, a Procurment Plan for standardising equipment resulted in a new design of Despatchers Harness mbeing purchased for every aicraft, without consutation of the "end users" such that many respected and knowledgable Staff members raised objections and refused to use them on the grounds that they were unsafe/impractical, but to no avail, as existing serviceable harnesses were confiscated and shredded - despite having a resale value !

..... and so on ......

But like I say, it looks like no-one cares any more, or those that do, and who are doing their utmost to continue providing the best service they can in the circumstances, have been silenced

Nail (in the coffin).

Last edited by Nail The Dream; 4th Jul 2015 at 15:10.