PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 4th Jul 2015, 14:41
Dougie M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montserrat

This det wasn't Op Sheepskin but came about when the top of Chancellor's Peak in the Souffriere mountains on Montserrat blew up. We were sent out to Antigua with a bunch of marines to evacuate the islanders and the marines to rescue any casualties and maintain order. We spent several days shuttling between Antigua and Blackburne airfield on Montserrat with refugees. The marines carried their search equipment including thermal imaging kit. They had to be reminded that it was a volcano we were on fer chrissake! On a day off at the end we decided to take a banana ride. Rum punches were involved. Being aircrew and not exactly slim the tow boat couldn't dislodge us. After a brief interlude of chat we then saw the tow boat at 50kts heading at 180 deg to us. The orange towing string then snapped back the nose of the banana and catapulted said sumo wrestling team up into the air. I clearly remember hitting the sea and seeing the 2nd row forward 18st co-pilot in plan view directly above me descending at 32ft sec.
As we struggled ashore I felt nothing until I tried to stand up. The journey home via Rosie Roads was v. painful but we WERE on active duty.