PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you choose your Pprune name?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2003, 15:27
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
confession time.

Mine's obvious, as someone said, but I wasn't always Whirly.....

Way back in the dim and distant past, when PPRune's number of members was only in 4 figures and I was a newish PPL(A), I got my first PC. I got introduced to the Flyer email list, and someone on it mentioned PPRuNe. PPRuNe had this chat room, and having heard about these strange places, I tried it...as Amelia Earhart II (not a lot of people know that). Well, chat was new, and no-one knew what to say in it...it was kind of silence, then: "Do you fly?" Silence, then: "Yes". Then another long silence while this awesome information in an aviation chat room was digested. You get the point. I left PPRuNe chat, and forgot about it for a while.

When I came back, I was hooked on little whirly things, so I not only went into the chat room, I registered on the forums, as R22. I was R22 for quite a while. But time passed, and I tried a few other names...I think Fling Wing may still be around; not sure if Whirling Palmtree is.

Then I started going to bashes and things, and I wanted a NICE name, one I could live with for ever. So I tried Whirlybird...but it was taken!!! I was distraught; I was virtually living in the Rotorheads forum, I just KNEW there wasn't a Whirlybird, but it was gone. So I had an idea. If I put an askerisk after it, it would look like a rotor (if you have a good imagination). So I became Whirlybird*. Well, people asked about the askerisk, and at a bash one day, PPRuNe Dispatcher asked if I wanted to be just Whirlybird. He'd checked, and the original Whirlybird had only one post, but was long gone. So, to cut this exceedingly longwinded story a little shorter, he arranged it, and even kept Whirlybird*'s posts, and gave me back R22's and Fling Wing's posts...but don't get too jealous, I lost 400 posts in a server crash later on, and couldn't get them back.

So, you see, it's time to confess...

I'm not REALLY The Original Whirly.