PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V2 & V2+15
Thread: V2 & V2+15
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2015, 08:03
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, our books say ETP=V2, so yes, I would pitch ip to V2 if above.

The problem with simple rules is they often only satisfy one condition, one scenario. This one is with an engine failure about V2. The geographical point can be assessed and the climb performance also. The turn radius can also be calculated, and the calculations are done (if memory serves me correctly) at max RTOW.
The FD will command V2. If you are V2 -V2+15 the FD will command that speed.
An ETP is written for the failure about V2. Does it advise what you do if the failure (bird strike) is at e.g. 500'? I doubt it. Do you need to perform an ETP? That is your decision at the time. Above what height does the ETP no longer apply? RTOW finishes at 1500' above aerodrome. The ETP is written for failure before V2 & 35' over the end of the runway (I think). So between 35' & 1500' with an engine failure you are on your own to decide what to do. If the ETP requires an immediate 180 turn, or short distance after rotate, to avoid obstacles/terrain straight ahead, but now the failure is well after rotate. You are closer to the obstacle than calculated. Do you follow the ETP 180 turn? It's not always so simple as you think.

The chance of being at Max TOW is small, so your performance should always be better than the assessment. Boeing state that the performance at V2 - V2+15 is the same: not my opinion. If you increase attitude to slow down you will not be following the FD pitch bar. You are already under stress with the engine failure. You might need all the help you can get; why ignore the FD? It will make your job harder. For the DC-10 they did not know about the missing LED's; i.e. they had a severe reduction in aerodynamic performance. What they did know is they had a flying a/c, and then they didn't.

Last edited by RAT 5; 4th Jul 2015 at 08:13.