PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TEM and Airmanship
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 21:57
Cows getting bigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ooooh errrrrrr, a couple of thoughts:

Firstly, if I'm teaching/examining steep turns I'll damn well make sure a HASELL/HELL check is done, normally by myself. Let's just call it self preservation.

TEM/airmanship - I've always thought that in trying to label and/or quantify airmanship we have somehow diluted the point. I think that TEM is an integral part of airmanship and the EASA definition of airmanship is a pretty reasonable stab; I would offer that encyclopaedias have been written about airmanship and they will still not completely capture the nature of the beast. I'm also intrigued how some think that airmanship can be taught - it can be developed, nurtured and refined. But taught? I'm not so sure. I fly with multi-thousand hour pilots who demonstrate little in the way of airmanship, despite having undergone extensive and expensive training at the 'World's best' schools and subsequent line training. Equally, I'll jump into a Cessna at the weekend and be teaching a 17 year-old the Effects of Controls (Part One) and this individual will be demonstrating strong, encouraging natural airmanship attributes.