PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civilian repatriation to Brize
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 19:39
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no reason why the AT fleet, in the guise of the C17 operators can't do this repatriation, and, I take issue with those who misguidedly believe that the repatriated bodies are being given "full military honours". The reception party at BZN provided by QCS is respectful and in accordance with the standard respects shown by a serviceman to any funeral cortège. I do agree that the C17 is capable of repatriating all of the victims in one run, rather than 3 or so. I rather suspect that the delay is down to political direction, rather than RAF planning. I have also read that all costs incurred by the RAF in this operation, will be recompensed by the tour operator who provided the holidays. Finally, I think of the seriously injured people who were the first evacuees returned by C17, a team unfortunately highly capable of transporting casualties of gunshot wounds, to a hospital well used to helping them. It all reflects on the RAF very well, spreading the load over 3 days smacks of certain politico's trying to "drag out" their exposure to the media. I hark back to one incident that set a precedent for me. I was serving at Akrotiri when the Turks invaded in the early 70s. Newly married my wife was evacuated back to UK on a VC10, two weeks after we were called on to base. I well remember seeing the families club, stuffed with British passport holders, as we were required to sit for 4 hours with no water or food in a very hot climate. The holidaymakers and Nationals with British nationality were given first priority on flights returning to UK, our wives and families had to wait. I'm sure many will remember it, I'm sure anyone who served during that time will accept that sometimes, the non combatants should have the priority, the RAF does after all belong to the British public.

Smudge