PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 16:23
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ken

Would you now with the latest stance that you are taking on what the F35 is be advising Canada to replace it's Hornets with F35s as having an attack bomber as your sole air defence fighter is not a very sensible idea? Ditto Norway of course.
If Canada and Norway are expecting the F-35 to be able to go up against modern air superiority fighters in close-in air combat, then (as I've already said repeatedly) they have the wrong fighter. Sadly, such purchase decisions are as much (or more) political than they are technical. But basing such a decision on a single "War is Boring" blog post is absurd.

As the F35 is not an air superiority fighter, with the supposed advent of Russian and Chinese Stealth Fighters, I am assuming that you feel it was the wrong decision to stop production of the F22
That depends on two factors:

What is the actual performance of the "Russian and Chinese Stealth Fighters", and how many will they actually build? 5th gen fighters are pricey. 5th gen air superiority fighters even more so. If the US can't afford them in large numbers, can Russia and China? If the Russian and Chinese 5th gen fighters actually deliver on promised performance AND they can be purchased in large numbers, then by all means, lets build more F-22s. But making such a decision based on a single blog post is absurd.

I assume as well that you would suggest to South Korea, Israel, Japan and Australia that they cancel their orders for F35s and put in orders for F22s. Together with of course Canada and Norway.
That depends on what they want to do and who they expect to go up against. In any event, basing such a decision on a single blog post is absurd.

As regards the UK Ken I am assuming that taking your logic forward you would suggest that the decision to put a ski jump on the QEC Class Carriers was wrong and that they should be re-equipped to either take Super Hornets or Rafales, as the F35B is not fit for purpose.
"Not fit for purpose" is YOUR allegation. I have found zero evidence to back your allegation. But if that is true (which I seriously doubt), then yeah, sure, they should refit their carriers and buy something else. Maybe a navalized Typhoon? In any event, even suggesting this course of action based on a single blog post is absurd.

Ken what is the quantum of F35s that you feel is appropriate for the USAF to purchase, still some 1,700+?
I never thought USAF would ever be able to buy anywhere near that number. USAF thought they were going to get hundreds of F-22s, and that did not work out anywhere near as hoped or planned. But one thing is certain. Basing the decision of how many F-35s to buy on a single blog post is absurd.

A number of jobs in Fort Worth seem to be at risk if you are correct.
Really? Why? Based on a single blog post? That's absurd.

One final comment: I've said before that folks are jumping to all sorts of absurd conclusions concerning the "War is Boring" blog post. If suggesting that multiple nations cancel F-35 orders, reopening the F-22 line, refitting RN carriers, RN cancelling F-35B orders in favor of Super Hornets and/or Rafales based on that blog post is not absurd, then nothing is.