PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TEM and Airmanship
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 12:54
Pull what

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Threat & Error Management & HASELL

TEM certainly isnt a new name for Airmanship, I asked this question a few years ago at an instructor seminar at Cranwell to the CAA staff examiner who was supposed to be giving a briefing on TEM. He never did give any helpful information on TEM (no surprise there as it seems beyond most instructors and examiners) but he did launch into, HASELL, for reasons I still cannot understand.

Apparently he was conducting a commercial test when the candidate dared to do a HASELL check before a steep turn. Apart from bringing this up during the test, which is hardly ideal or fair for the candidate, he then went onto labour this point to us all on the ridiculousness of doing HASELL checks before steep turning exercise and asked where on earth instructors are getting this erroneous information from?

The answer could be from the man involved in the new PPL syllabus Jeremy Pratt, and I quote from his CAA recommended book:

" It is usual to carry out HASELL or HELL checks before a steep turn"

Perhaps Jeremy has had a rethink since then though as I notice that HASELL or 'The Collision Avoidance Turn' isnt mentioned in his new syllabus either!