PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 09:05
riff_raff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was quite a bit of discussion on this thread about the design issues with the S-92 MRGB. As I pointed out, in my opinion, the use of just 3 fasteners to attach the oil filter housing did not provide a sufficient level of fault tolerance in the event one of the fasteners were to fail.

Also, in my opinion, titanium fasteners should never be used for an application that involves regular removal and re-installation of the fastener, such as attachment of an oil filter housing . Titanium fasteners work well for situations where the fastener is installed under carefully controlled conditions and never is removed. But due to titanium's inclination to gall and inherent notch sensitivity, it does not make a good fastener material for service applications. The miniscule weight savings provided by using titanium studs rather than more reliable A286 cres studs for this application cannot be justified, in my opinion.

I won't go into the obvious design issues in the EC225 MRGB.