PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 23:54
rh200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Courtney Mil
I take issue with your claim that "because it won't happen."
Don't get me wrong and think that I'm saying it won't happen. I think it will happen in some context.

What I'm saying is, the strategic direction is such, as they want to minimise the chances of that happening. Hence when it does, they are prepared to suffer the consequences of that stance.

Whether the consequences as such. are greater than they anticipate etc. is another thing.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with today's society or political will or such like.
Actually it does, our whole defense posture etc. and what we spend, is dependent on political will. That is dependent on society and its views.

As I have said before, I don't like the F35 that much, but it seems to be the best there is, considring our particular circumstances.

What are those circumstances? We won't be getting into anything serious without being under the skirt of the Yanks. As such our defense and procurment revolves around supporting that relationship.

I realise the poms have the little problem with the Falklands, but in essence, without that issue, you guys should be in the same boat with regards to NATO.