PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 22:03
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Rh200,

I take issue with your claim that "because it won't happen."

It has nothing whatsoever to do with today's society or political will or such like.

Here is the point (and I am surprised that none of the RN guys has contributed to this debate), should the UK decide to send its warship and its entourage to an incident, skirmish, Falklands II, Iraq (ISIS) III, or whatever may happen in future decades, there is always a risk that the big ship will come under attack (if it won't then we don't need all the frigates etc to protect it). It's defence will rely heavily upon its organic air = F-35B. As I mentioned earlier (did you read earlier posts?) it is very easy to see how the carrier's only jets could end up "backs to the wall" with a raid closing on the capital ship that needs to be defended.

You assure me that such a situation could never happen and the the next questions are: then why do we need a Fleet Air Arm? If we don't have one, we don't need the carrier or the jets.

Today's society does not change the nature of warfare. Maybe today's society is saying we won't have anymore wars. That doesn't seem to be working, does it?