PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHANNON
Thread: SHANNON
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 19:28
Runway_approach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AerRyan
Cork has gotten 4 new route announcements this year, despite the fact that 2 were cancelled there is 20 new weekly flights! Shannon has got 2 "new routes", 1 of which was basically a lower capacity return of an earlier cancelled service, the other being a weekly Turkey charter.

Seems like Shannon needs to start getting its act together. Edinburgh or Glasgow need to return and quite frankly I'm starting to wonder whether the management are doing anything on this regard. Its like they open negotiations and close them just as fast. My source has revealed to me this evening that Shannon has opened negotiations with Stobart, Flybe, Loganair, CityJet and Ryanair, all which have failed. Why? I don't know. I am very confident of a market for these services, especially with the lack of a Knock service. They were success on a daily ATR72 prior to the pullout of stobart, there is no reason why they cannot be now.
Here is my view

Shannon got nine new routes last year given Ryanair new focus on primary Airports around Europe Shannon of knock isn't really on their radar bar the odd frequency rotation here and there - don't see this changing until at least their new aircraft start arriving - cork different story as they won't expand till charges dropped / reduced.

Of the other pretenders

Stobart air - in complete consolidation mode don't think they have announced any new routes this year?? Proof of this is fact that aer lingus putting the a320 twice daily on Dublin - Liverpool this would previously definitely have been a stobart air / EI regional feeder service

2) Logan air not operating into Ireland at all and can't see that changing in near future - fare structure also would not suit regionals

3) Flybe are a bit all over the place strategy wise at the minute pulling and cancelling routes all over the place don't think they see a future in Ireland for them Personally

4) city jet have tried and failed on Shannon don't see them returning anytime soon especially with cork announcement

Shannon have a nice suite of routes at the minute and think they need to make these sustainable in the short term as looking at the loads some of them could quite easily be pulled by Ryanair but do agree it's inevitable at some stage someone will do a Scottish route from either knock or Shannon or
Indeed both

Airports meet airlines about routes on multiple occasions during the year to discuss current and new routes don't think it's a case of negotiations have failed - airlines would be well aware of the charges structure for routes - that's me done!!