PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civilian repatriation to Brize
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 16:56
air pig

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Exascot,

Greatest sympathy, of course, to all families but this ceremonial treatment of the dead tourists is downgrading the arrival of our deceased military personnel who died serving Queen and country. In current war theatres, crawling through the sand not lying on it to get a suntan.
As a gentleman we were as taught at Cranwell will, if in uniform salute, raise their hat or if hatless bow their head in respect to the deceased. The RAF were tasked for this by their chain of command and I suspect their respective political master and therefore performed their duties as set out in AP818. I suspect AP 818 has no section covering the repatriation of civilians so therefore the only guidance available was used. The deceased are just as much victims of an 'act' of war/terrorism.

Nutloose,

I would imagine the location is to do with the autopsy if needed and the Coroner, as Oxford has sadly lots of experience with gunshot victims.
There is a requirement in law for a Coroners post mortem and inquest in the case of unexpected death or death that may have been as a result of criminal action.

Last edited by air pig; 2nd Jul 2015 at 18:02.