PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Third Time Lucky - A Not So New Newbie!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 13:13
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Many years ago and after being retrenched from an overseas airline (had a 737 command), I couldn't get a flying job back in Australia. I had a little 50cc Honda motor bike at home. Fine around the suburbs of Melbourne but unpleasant in 20 knot crosswinds caused by huge trucks on the Tullamarine freeway.

Decided that being qualified in command on the Honda, I would be a shoo-in to join Australia Post as a postman and get a free yellow cape, big gauntlets, flashy crash helmet with aviator sunnies and a natty aerial with fluttering yellow flag attached to the rear. Better than being on the dole I figured.

Alas, although I could safely fly a 737 around tropical cyclones, passes in all ATPL subjects, a gong from the RAAF and a demonstrated competency in landing a Boeing safely in 35 knot crosswinds on short runways, this all meant nothing to Australia Post. To my chagrin I failed the Australia Post elementary written aptitude test to be a Honda 50cc motor cycle postman. So, shattered at the thought of the bright yellow cape, bone dome and aviator sunnies that I would never wear, I decided to return to flying - this time in a LSA called a Texan Club. Loved it.

Point of this post is you can enjoy yourself at far less expense and paperwork bumpf, by flying a light sports aircraft than wasting thousands of dollars to get a PPL (or whatever Part 61 calls it) in a Cessna 172 or similar type. No wasted taxi time at places like Bankstown, no exorbitant landing fees like Essendon. Go for it