PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B206 Drivers, read and learn...
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 07:55
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by longbox
I love starting a 206, I have been flying the 429 today all FADEC and really cool, but there is a great feeling lighting up a 250, simple rules

Good Battery
Try and avoid wind down the pipes
Cool below 150
Give her plenty of N1
Know the difference of a Bendix and CECO
Assume it may get hot and be ready
Don't panic if it does, close the throttle continue with button

If you find she is too hot, or too slow then tell engineering, time it, give them the figures and adjust the start, but always measure the start from cold with no ground power to prove an accurate figure

I have started many 250's over the last 27 years, don't over think it
I've highlighted a contentious statement there: Allison issued a letter back in 1992 which specifically states

Allison defines a good first start as one taking less than 25 seconds from the introduction of fuel until the engine reaches ground idle. To obtain an optimized start, move the throttle to the ground idle position to begin fuel flow as the Nl RPM accelerates through 12-15% Nl. Do not wait for Nl RPM to peak out before initiating fuel flow, as this will unnecessarily utilize battery capacity early in the start cycle.
Engines vary: one of my 206s spun up quickly, such that cracking the throttle open at 12% would see >15% by the time the fuel lit off. Another would be best opened at 15%.

But never, never hang on past 15%