PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LAX-Dublin on Ethiopian 787 review.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 00:25
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LAX-Dublin on Ethiopian 787 review.

Pretty new line, just been open less than a month. It's their intermediate stop on the way to Addis Ababa. Stumbled upon it by accident. I fly a lot to Europe from LAX, mainly through London or Munich, but this time I needed to be in Cardiff (of all places), so connecting through Dublin made a lot of sense rather than slugging it out at some giant hub and flying backwards. This is a great addition to the Atlantic routes. Not only does it connect Dublin to the westcoast for the first time in decades since Are Lingus gave it up, but it also adds two great features:

1. It's the last departure to Europe and it's also the earliest coming back. This is great for us who sometimes might have to work a full day and yet still be able to depart for Europe. With a 11.45pm departure from LAX, that's completely doable - full days of work without having to leave early, then jump on the plane. Or if you just get a last minute assignment and need to get to Europe, no matter what. As a freelancer, this happens to me a lot. Late departures are a godsend in those circumstances.

2. Same thing going the other way - early 6.30 departure from Dublin gets you into LAX around 9.30 in the morning - plenty of time to put in at least a half days work or be able to do a lunch meeting upon arrival. Very valuable.

As for flight, Ethiopian's 787 is as new as they come. Plane was only half full when we departed so got pretty good attention from crew. The entertainment system is good and the seats are decent. Charging ports standard, blankets, tooth brush, socks, sleeping mask etc - what you'd expect from decent airline on this route. Food wasn't quite up to Air New Zealand or Virgin standards, but not far off. Only annoying thing is the gate at LAX is off ramp, so have to get bussed out. For some reason that always seems to add delays and a level of uncomfortableness. Hopefully they'll be allowed to move to a real stand soon.

All in all - a good experience and I can recommend it. This was my first time on the Dreamliner and it didn't disappoint. Comfortable and quiet ride.