PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shame on RAF Scampton and the VTTST
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2015, 21:32
4mastacker

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought the CDT was scrapped about 1982/83 as part of the disposal programme of Vulcan-related equipment. It was in a shed across the road from Supply Sqn HQ and the powers-that-be wanted it removed sharpish. My colleague in Tech Stores was given the job! IIRC, it was too big to be removed in one piece without dismantling the building and the only option was to cut up on-site. The word at the time was the shed had been built around the CDT. Looking at Google Maps, it appears that the shed has been demolished.

The link refers to
...It is also unique in being the earliest Vulcan cockpit in existence, dating from May 1952.......A unique Vulcan cockpit section built before the prototype ever flew would have been wasted
and the dates quoted don't tie in with the disposal programme that took place in the early 80s. I'm pretty sure the CDT was the cockpit section of a Vulcan B1/B1A that came to grief in an accident on the airfield.

No doubt former Vulcan aircrew who trained on the CDT at Scampton can add more detail.