PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Rant Coming Up.......
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2015, 09:36
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Afterthought....someone said

There are VERY few places where you will not be able to get signal for 7 days, and I would imagine less than 1% of RyanAir passengers would be afflicted with no signal for 7 days of their holiday
Well, actually, there are huge swathes of the world's land surface where you will not get any form of mobile phone or internet connection. This applies to very large areas in the less populated regions of Europe, including the UK. Close to home in the UK, I could take you to a large village 2 miles away, near the coast of East Devon, where there is no phone signal on any network within 1 mile of the village centre.

Globally, I would suggest that mobile coverage is 5-10% of land surface. One of the best indicators is probably satellite pictures of the world at night; lit areas probably have coverage, unlit areas do not, as a working hypothesis.

Even the wildly optimistic maps published by the phone networks of UK coverage show areas where there is no signal.

So I think your assertion is quite mistaken. Ryanair probably agrees with me, which is why they have the 7-day rule. In any event, it isn't necessarily the signal that's the problem, it's the need to print a pass which defeats those who are not up to using smart phones, apps etc etc.