PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2003, 03:35
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Kilo 52,
I trust that all is well with you.

I still accept your viewpoint. However, you have to agree that quite a bit of your argument is speculation based on limited actual known fact - just as my viewpoint is.

No one knows with absolutely no doubt whatsoever, what caused the accident. I agree that we all know (with absolute certainty) the end result, but not what went before. Therefore, the verdict is unsustainable.

To answer your point on pilot assessments, the following is taken from a transcript of the Scottish Fatal Accident Inquiry:
Early on in his evidence H was asked to speak to the official RAF records in relation to Flt Lt Tapper and Flt Lt Cook which were incorporated in Annexe C to the Board of Inquiry's report. According to these records T had most recently been assessed as High Average and Combat Ready. He had a total of 3,062 flying hours in helicopters of which 683 had been in Chinook helicopters. Flt Lt Cook had most recently been assessed as Above Average and Combat Ready. He had a total of 2,789 flying hours in helicopters of which 2,492 had been in Chinook helicopters.

I hope this answers any questions on crew assessments.

My regards to all, as always.
Brian
"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook