PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar to launch Hong Kong based carrier
Old 1st Jul 2015, 05:46
westjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe Alan Joyce and his team, some five years or so back, believed the "Legacy" Airline model. aka Qantas,was dead in the water!
Hence the almost paranoid focus on growing Jetstar, while leaving QF to wither, and as pointed out in an earlier post, to even denigrate QF International!

Well a lot has changed over that time, Jetstar OS has been a disaster, Jetstar International marginal at least, and jetstar domestic makes a profit, but at the expense of Qantas Domestic, since it entered routes it was never meant to serve, eg Melbourne Sydney/Brisbane etc
LCCs have lost their gloss, and smart Legacy carriers have adapted and thrived, eg the US3, who domestically are hybrid Legacy/LCC, now that they charge for bags and food/drinks.

So it is good to see the renewed focus on growing Qantas over Jetstar!

However Qantas could well learn from Cathay Pacific/Air New Zealand who have not gone down the in house LCC path, but concentrated on the core brand.

Borghetti is not operating a small fleet of 332s to/from perth for fun, he knows the numbers from his days at Qantas, and they must stack up pretty well for him to do it!

I fail to understand why the Qantas Group, have Jetstar operating 3 A320s a day Melbourne to Perth, on a route shown to suit A332s.

Thats 531 seats from Jetstar on 3 return legs, were as Qantas could operate an A332 on 2 return legs and offer 542 seats.
I am not sure of fuel burn comparison for 6 320 flights compared to 4 A332?
But the 332 ops needs only 4 pilots per day against 6 for the 320 schedule!

The big advantage for the Qantas Group is that a double daily 332 operation, provides Qantas with an even bigger frequency advantage over Virgin Australia, to better compete for high yielding business passengers!
I have no doubt that on say a 75% Load factor, those 400 odd seats occupied on Qantas would generate more yield to the group than same number on jetstar!