PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta 747-400 takes a beating over China
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2015, 23:23
deptrai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet we have DEPTRAI not wishing to chance his luck and would , presumably, slam into a CB.

no, I didn't say that. I just don't like it when people who weren't there, without a full accident investigation, slam the pilots or the commander. The knee jerk reaction of blaming the commander and calling him "weak" seemed uncalled for, so I came up with a somewhat extreme example of having to chose between weather and a missile test range. We don't know what their wx radar displayed, we don't know what other information they had or didn't have, we don't know their conversation with ATC. We don't even know the extent of the damage to the airframe. I see the composite radome has been hit by flying icebergs, but the cockpit windshields appear ok, no cracks visible to me, and there's no good photos of leading edges and engine nacelles where I would expect possibly damage, and no boroscope inspection of engines... The unsharp low resolution picture of the wing doesn't tell me much, it could be paint that has been scraped off.

Edit: What I do see, is that the "instagram" post the pictures were taken from says it was Delta 157, which would be Amsterdam-Memphis. So much for reliability of random sources on the global internets.

avherald has some more information: http://avherald.com/h?article=48893f03&opt=0

Last edited by deptrai; 1st Jul 2015 at 00:54.