PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2015, 17:26
tgvbhy15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truth hurts

Oh wow! So I say a few rumors that sound very truthful (obviously I do not have factual evidence to proof my statements) and the Nigerians come out of the woodwork protesting "it's not fair! We're not all like that!" Ok, true, not everyone is the same but corruption, lying, laziness, etcetera are very common characteristics around here..... I could give you many instances and examples that have happened to me personally (so these are facts) but I just don't feel like writing that much now (yes I have many other things and interests in my life) and my spell check is broken.
Someone else said "he must be disgruntled". Yes I am. And everyone I know here at Bristow Nigeria (expat) is. Most, however, choose to put on a happy face and attitude and look the other way so that their existence while they are here is not miserable, which is a great psychological tactic, not easy to do at all, and something I admire. But it must also be said that all expats here in Nigeria are not equal. Everyone of us is treated differently by his superior, paid differently and given different opportunities. So that is why some say Nigerians are wonderful and others say the complete opposite.
But hey! Maybe all this is just in my imagination. Maybe this place will prosper some day. Or will it still be the same sh*thole in 50 years time? Any bets?
Oh! and by the way, about the pay difference between expats and Nigerians.... So a Nigerian that was fully sponsored all the way from 0 to ATPL (250,000 USD+), is given one or two multi-engine IFR type ratings, only knows how to fly on a straight line to and from the same few platforms, lives at home with his family and is given command in offshore CAT with only 2000+ hours.... this guy should be paid the same as an expat who has had to pay his own way to the top, has probably done a wide variety of helicopter operations (both as SIC and PIC), has "done his time" as SFO in other companies, has flown many different types, has 6, 7, 8 thousand hours ++, is away from his loved ones half of his life, and actually works 6 of 7 days every week!!...... These two guys should be paid the same!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Yeah right!! Come one!!!!!!!!!