PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DFS selects remote tower technology
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2015, 20:19
panpanpanpan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an end user, albeit as a private pilot, there is something comforting knowing the voice in my headset is local with local knowledge and their sole attention is on the task in hand. A somewhat different perspective if the voice is potentially hundreds of miles away yet clearing me to land whilst simultaneously involved in another task on another airfield.

Purely from a cost basis I can see how the airport accountants will be in sheer delight at the thought of getting rid of those costly and troublesome ATC types but I can see one major pitfall, correct me if I am wrong.

The UK`s largest ANSP bids for the quieter regional airports with a remote contract promising all things to all people in the beginning. Risk assessments will be made to match the perceived risk and all boxes ticked, never mind the reality, just get the contract signed - take a loss if need be to get it. I don`t know what a standard ATC contract is, 5 years, 10 years? Local regional airport signs the deal at £X pounds and subsequently local infrastructure is dismantled, controllers dispersed to remote facilities etc. At the end of the contract the ANSP now says the price is £XXX - non negotiable. Result - local regional airport is royally screwed. No way back without huge expense to reinstate local ATC and the initial savings are history. I think its actually quite a clever move to entrap customers who once they give away their flexibility will find it near impossible to return no matter how much they protest.