PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-1B upgraded to include air to air capability
Old 29th Jun 2015, 14:05
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Back in the early 1990's I bought this book to assist in building a model of a B-52G out of the old Monagram B-52D kit as most of the technical illustrations in it were taken from Boeing or USAF technical publications.

Some of the illustrations in the book showed a proposed self defence penetration fit using mostly off the shelf items with the Nav-Attack Radar being replaced with the radar out of the F/A-18, AIM-120 AMRAAM on the wing plyons, plus the data link system for them. A modified rotary launcher in the aft bomb bay carrying AGM-88 HARM and AGM-136 Tacit Rainbow and an air search radar in the tail replacing the gun control radar which would support both the operation of the AIM-120 and act as fire control for a launcher in the tail capable of lobbing out a FIM-92 Stinger IR SAM. The offensive payload was a couple of B-83 H-bombs. I lost the book years ago, hence I can't remember if it was a Boeing proposal or a USAF Study and when the study was done (i.e. did Dale Brown nick the idea off them or vice versa), though the book itself dates from 1990.