PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comms in the Gulf
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2015, 14:00
Emma Royds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATCO, had a run in with one of your mates last night about this callsign business. You are correct.......how about a bit of professionalism and pride from that side of the mic as well.

My comms is better than average and yup. heaven forbid I should slip up and forget to mention my callsign in the heat of the moment.....but ffs, it was like I had pissed in his flower garden.
I find that the tension and stress felt by the controllers at UAE ACC when it's busy, can be very noticeable of the R/T. The rate of speech and tone that is used by the controller, are often good indicators. The staffing issues and low morale at SZC that are mentioned on other threads, give an insight into a workplace that seems to have more than its fair share of problems. We as pilots based in the UAE, know only too well that you as controllers are dealing with ever growing levels of traffic in a small area of airspace.

The airwaves are most certainly NOT the place to discuss the finer points of airmanship or RT etiquette. To our controller friends, if a pilot is not using their full callsign then just say 'Use your full callsign'. That is a short and clear message which should be easily understood. There is no need to say any more nor raise your voice as I have heard previously on the odd occasion. If someone really pisses you off then follow it up and report it but please don't enter into highly heated discussions on the R/T. If the offender is a UAE operator that is inbound, then ask the pilot to give you or your superior a quick call when they have landed. If it's a choice between a quick call to resolve an issue or starting a paperwork exercise, I suspect pilots and controllers would both probably prefer the phone call.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for the guys and girls that I speak to at DXB and also at UAE ACC. The standard of controlling is high in a demanding environment. We at EK are working harder than ever in a company environment that generates many challenges as well. Often when we are arriving into DXB we are very tired and work hard to ensure that we are operating to the high standard that we have personal pride in maintaining. We are only human and can make errors and welcome when errors are pointed out. Please do so in a concise and composed manner and it will be very much appreciated.