PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Management Pilots?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2003, 22:46
special_ig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Management Pilots?

Not quite sure if this is the appropriate forum, but I'd rather see answers from professional pilots than from other "Wannabees".

So here it goes... I am 29 years old, have a MSc degree in Finance and doing pretty well for my self as a Finance Manager at a large American company. Lived and traveled all over the world and always felt (and still feel) like a little kid when I got onto a plane. Recently put this love for air travel into practice by starting my PPL training. Went solo after 14 hours, starting nav now and absolutely love it. No better feeling. Well....not many :o)

Being able to earn a living with this hobby sounds like a great proposition, but at my age, with this economy etc things seem very tough. I don't think I would be willing to take two years off towing banners for zero money to build up 1500 hours to stand a remote change to get the F/O position and make half of what I am making now as I would be on the same seniority level as a 20-year-old.

Recently, though, I came across the term "management pilot" (mostly in a negative light, but anyway...). What does the term mean exactly and are there pilots out there who fly part time and work in a management position at the airline the rest of the time? And would these people stand a chance with a "mere", say, 250 hour fATPL?? Or am I totally wrong and is there no such thing as a "part time pilot".

Thanks,

special_ig