PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAPI guidance below 300 ft
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2015, 08:28
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Glen, I didn't imply a visual approach is a hero approach. I have done thousands of visual approaches, I would wager more than you. My reference to "hero" was in relation to your visual approach and first seeing the PAPIs and finding they are 4 whites or 4 reds.

Originally Posted by Glen
Got cleared for a visual approach in really bright sunlight and flew a curved constant aspect approach rolling out onto final at about 800' AGL with the aiming point in the right place and stable, on speed, very pleased with myself, and got a very agitated pilot in the other seat tell me I was high when the four whites became just about visible at about 400' (you couldn't see the lights before that because of the sun). They fairly quickly went one white, three reds, two reds two whites, one white three reds and then we landed in the right place at the right speed.
That is not a "middle of the road" visual approach and I would have words with any FO that did it on a regular basis. How on earth do you expect any PNF to support you properly through that? Besides, if the PAPIs were changing as described below 400ft, you were not aiming at the normal 1000ft/300m aim-point; you were going well short. Stable means some semblance of a steady slope from 500ft down, not 4 whites to 3 reds (although you did say 1W3R>2W2R>1W3R)!

Good luck down there with your blinkered regulators. Must be tough to fly an approach at all when you're upside down to start with..
It's a very sensible rule that has been in place for decades and I don't have a problem with it at all. You may think black-hole visual landings with no slope guidance at all is OK; I don't think it's heroic, I think it's stupid.

I agree with you one-miles an hour on the standard of stick and rudder skills nowadays; I do not agree that that approach of yours is the norm, nor should it be considered one. Good for heros... but not the masses, including those who can fly visual approaches.

As to the original question, I've been looking more closely than usual over the last few days and with practice it is quite easy to use the PAPI down to 100ft.