PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk II
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2015, 07:15
Cloud Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultralights
yep, i know they dont have the best reliability when it comes to direct sunlight or excessive heat.
UL,
Absolutely. Big difference between the Enigma, Garmin,Aspen, Dynon and the iPad. The iPad is a consumer product, aimed at sucking people in to update their iPhone, iPad, iwhatever, every two years. It is aimed to look nice. Don't worry I own two iPads an iPhone, MacBook, iMac and three iPods. In the family we have another two MacBooks another iPhone and I don't know how many iPods the kids have . So I am an iWanker. I love OzRunways and use it whenever I go flying. And I will be getting the new iPad mini when it comes out in Sep/Oct. But it is not a serious aviation piece that I would ever trust for attitude, or any other type of flying device. OzRunways is great but it semi-regularly shuts down on me and requires a restart. So I would have zero faith in that setup. I have flown behind Dynon's and never had an issue and Avidyne and Garmin 1000's and they all perform as advertised. The iPad is good at what it does (moving map, all my charts and maps,AIP, ERSA etc) but it is not designed for anything else. Spend an extra US$3000 and get the new Aspen 1000 VFR setup if you want a glass PFD. Infinitely more reliable in that environment. Mind you if you are just tootling VFR as long as I had a backup airspeed and altimeter fill your boots!

Sorry,
Just saw the Dynon in the middle as your PFD. I would never class the iPad as a PFD. So in that photo from my perspective you have one PFD, one game PFD and one moving maps of unknown reliability.

Just my two cents.

Cheers
CB