PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Malaysia Widebody Charter Airline
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2015, 06:31
BBN RADAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not racism; It's protectionism to ensure entry level airline jobs go to locals. Same applies in Australia in that non Australian citizens or residents are not permitted to work there.
Not true. Australia employs many non-citizens or non-residents provided they have the correct permit or visa. Even if you were specifically talking about pilots, there have been many foreign pilots hired in Australia - with the appropriate visa. The point being is that it is up to the immigration department of a country to decide if a person's skills and experience are required in the labour market; not the aviation authority. The Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority will never have a blatantly discriminatory policy that says no non-Australian FOs.

And what makes you think you have the god given right to work in Malaysia over the hundreds of other local Malaysian pilots already with a Malaysian CPL and fATPL for airline entry level jobs?
Well, let's leave gods (and unicorns, dragons etc.) out of the argument shall we? But what makes me think I should have the right to work there? Because in many ways I am an idealist. As a citizen of this planet I believe that labour markets should be more open; we should be employing the best man/woman available for the job - it shouldn't be based on nationality or skin colour etc.

Unfortunately, you're right in that there are protectionist policies all around the world. The fact that the actual Malaysian DCA is implementing this protectionist policy proves the argument that there are better, more qualified and experienced pilots to be found outside the country... and they are merely protecting an inferior product.
Now, before you jump the gun and accuse me of being racist just re-read what I wrote. This argument could be applied to many other jobs, professions or even just physical commodities. We just happen to be talking about pilots in this case. If you can counter my argument logically and rationally I will be open to listen.

Although you may have thousands of hours in GA in Australia
Actually, I have thousands of hours attained on 3 separate continents in both Airline and GA... but nice try.

those hours means zilch in Malaysia and you are still considered as an airline wannabe seeking an entry level job.
You mean those hours mean zilch because I'm not Malaysian, right? If I were Malaysian, I'm betting that 5000 hours including multi-crew PIC would be an ok start? Correct?