PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bail out procedure for Spitfire Mark IX
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2015, 05:36
JeanB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bail Out procedure for Spitfire Mark IX

Thank you all for your interest and for the info. I have read the Pilot Notes - how curious that there is no mention at all of bailing out - and I have also turned up the page recommended by Taxydual - there is certainly no concensus of opinion there, so perhaps there just wasn`t a `one size fits all` procedure for all circumstances.

I thought perhaps you might like to know the reason for my enquiry. My eldest brother was killed in 1944 (age 21, just) and only recently I have been able to obtain the ORBs covering the day of his death. I quote below the relevant paragraph

(Third operation, fighter sweep of Lake Bracciano area) ...... Our homeward journey, in accordance with previous orders, was carried out at 4000 feet, instead of the usual 14-1600 feet for patrol work, in order to observe the condition of the bridges around Grossetto, all of which appeared to be quite serviceable. While there at approximately 1715 hours, F/O J.D. Hegarty reported engine trouble, and climbed to about 7000 feet emitting black smoke. His aircraft then emitted quantities of white smoke, and he called up and said he was going to bale out. He inverted the aircraft, but the nose dropped immediately, and crashed from a spiral dive with a tremendous splash, in the sea, approximately quarter mile off Marina di Grossetto. F/O Hegarty did not get out of the aircraft, which sank instantly, leaving only an oily smear on the water. He will be greatly missed by all, his playing of the accordian and piano being one of the mainstays of our concert party, of which he was the Officer i/c. End quote

Once again, my thanks to you all.

Best wishes JeanB