PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAPI guidance below 300 ft
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2015, 23:34
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GlenQuagmire
Nah.. I'm pretty sure the use of "hero" was a substitute for "reckless" and intended to ridicule.
Yes, but that's not to say every visual approach is reckless.

Well let's just clear up another couple of points he's raised. From a non precision approach it's very likely you will break cloud with four reds. That's the way they were originally designed. That's exactly what they are for - establishing after an NDB cloud break or similar. But bloggs is so used to coupling up his overplayed GPS approach he's forgotten that..
Like most of us in Australia, Bloggs would be used to using a DME/distance profile for an NPA which puts you at the MDA on profile. If using the old dive and drive method then sure you will get 4 reds and fly level on to the profile but that's not how we fly NPAs any more and it has nothing to do with equipment, I've been flying a constant descent profile that since getting my IR in a Baron.

And what on earth is a no slope guidance approach qualification? I've never heard of it.
Welcome to Australia. The rule here is that a jet operation is not allowed to go somewhere that doesn't have visual slope guidance unless the captain has been checked on flying approaches with no guidance and then only for seven days (i.e., the airport can have a failed PAPI for a maximum of seven days.)

Just hacked off with having my profession continuously degraded by all this bull****. The authority I'm under want to individually qualify us for each individual LPV approach we fly. I've got 550 airports in my logbook! How's that gonna work?
I know, I get it. You can thank the wombles who stuff things up for the continual restrictions. If everyone could be trusted to just fly an aeroplane then none of this stuff would have happened, unfortunately you need to put a cage around some people and as the various rules and regs are a blunt instrument, it means everyone else gets a cage too. Of course no one thinks they are the one who needs the cage.

( probably doing a visual later today. Really hope it works out... Will get posthumously prune crucified otherwise)
Yes you will .