PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS Tracking
Thread: GPS Tracking
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2015, 19:53
Hot and Hi

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SPOT Trace

Originally Posted by RVDT
SPOT Trace is possibly the closest you can get.
On face value that seems to be a very good solution for what you need in order to check on the true utilisation and the whereabouts of your asset.

I can't speak from own experience for the satellite communication uplink (SPOT uses the Global Star Low Earth Orbit satellite network to upload the tracker's position), but in my experience the position of the GPS receiver is fairly uncritical in a helicopter (owing to the large Plexiglas canopy of most models). I have stuck small GPS receivers (without external aerial) under the seat, without any perceivable loss loss of position fix.

There is lots of talk about the requirement of the GPS receiver to have unobstructed view of the sky, etc., but in my experience in the front seats (or even the rear seats in a Robinson style helicopter) this is not an issue. As mentioned before, anything non solid metal, like plastic, leather or seat cushions don't seem to impair the reception of the GPS signal from the sky.

The SPOT Trace may also be a good entry level option for flight tracking (meeting your legal requirement for flight following in commercial operations) - at least better than simply relying on the pilot calling in "safe" after each landing. The next level up product from SPOT (the Gen3) adds a few useful features that the Trace is missing when it comes to flight following (such as "check-in OK", "Help" and "SOS" buttons), all at a fraction of the purchase and operating costs of Spidertracks.

Last edited by Hot and Hi; 29th Jun 2015 at 07:26.