PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haunting images of the UK's redundant RAF bases
Old 28th Jun 2015, 18:52
Martin the Martian

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Predannack is overspill from Yeovilton and the home of the RN fire training? I think.
Nutty, Predannack is a very long way from Yeovilton to be considered as overspill. Now if you said Culdrose...

It ceased to be a Royal Air Force station on 15 December 1958 and became RN Predannack, parented by Culdrose as a relief landing ground, a role it still undertakes. It is indeed used by the Royal Navy Fire School, with a number of airframes and purpose built rigs dotted around one of the dispersal sites, and there was talk one or two years ago of moving the RAF fire school down from Manston and merging them into one. I understand that they are able to simulate certain fires and situations at Predannack that they cannot do at Manston; don't ask me which, I'm not a pyromaniac.

The RAF is still in attendance, with the Vikings of No.626 Volunteer Gliding Squadron based on the airfield, and the Shelterbox charity has a training facility on the site as well.