PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan: last chance to see...
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2015, 18:32
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Arrived at W-M today at 09:45, then drove to the parking spot to chat with the '655 MaPS gang. First request was for me to give 5 interested Oxford ATC cadets a cockpit tour, which they seemed to enjoy. Also gave me a reason to get out of the rain.... Usual questions: "How do you drop a bomb", "Have you ever crashed"...but at least they didn't ask about 'comfort facilities'. I admire their enthusiasm, especially since the RAF cannot even sort out glider maintenance requirements these days, so very few of them have yet had a chance to fly.

The rain cleared as the morning went on, but it was still rather cold and windy. However, hundreds and hundreds of people turned up as the '558 overflight ToT approached. The VTTS team kept us informed of '558's progress - then there was an excited hush as we spotted Phil and his crew running in from Coventry. A couple of graceful turns and a little gentle Olympus 'whispering' , before the ac headed off towards Silverstone.

That so many people came out on such a cold, rather dreary day is a true testament to the 'Vulcan effect'!

Thanks, everyone!

And bolleaux to those miseries who prefer aircraft to live in museums...