PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using the 'printed Skydemon PLOG'...
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2015, 17:54
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
I find it discouraging how many still bleat on about the horrors of using the GPS and are proud of the fact that they deliberately reject using the benefits of modern technology to increase flight safety and efficiency.

The PLOG was invented to overcome the navigational problem that existed prior to the advent of GPS, namely there was no way to instantaneously and continuously update your present position. To overcome this various strategies where methods, most derived from nautical navigation techniques, are used to predict where you would be in the future, and to correct track errors when you could again fix you your position.

The underlying raison d'etre of traditional navigation doesn't exist with GPS because you always know exactly where you are and will always have up to date numbers for all the values you used to have to calculate or infer, like ETE/ETA. Ground Speed, Track, Track deviation etc etc

So does that mean should there is no value in traditional nav ? Absolutely not but it should be now used in a more holistic way. The problem with GPS is that it will do exactly what you tell it to do. If you tell it the wrong thing than it will take you where you did not want it to go. So how to protect yourself ?

I teach my students to use GPS accuracy backed up by a mental TLAR ( That Looks About Right), check. So if you flew from A to B and the track was 225 and now you are flying back to A and the GPS say the track is 017 you should immediately say "Hey that doesn't look right !"

So double check the numbers from the magic box before you take off, Keep your finger moving along the paper map, no lines needed as you fly, use the GS and ETE values to update you fuel at destination calculation, TLAR any changes., and enjoy a better, safer flying experience.

Finally, make sure you know and understand the GPS database and "nearest" feature. When the chips are down getting a pointer to the nearest airport with track, distance and time instantaneously displayed, all with a few button pushes, could literally be a lifesaver.